Sunday, January 22, 2006

Loving God

It is 2am and certainly a wonderful night. As I look up into the heavens, I see a clear and brightly litted sky with shimmering stars and a faded moon glow.
A peaceful sight to behold. Peace, peace...
I reaffirmed my surrender to Him once again.

Lately there was a young hound who finds refuge at my house's porch. A shaky character, I suspect its from the jungle behind my neighbourhood. Lean, young and handsome, yet it is afraid of human. Today I tried to befriend it by sitting with it for quite a while. He began to draw closer to me and licked me, raised its paws and greeted my waiting hand. For the first time I felt we connected. I'm trying to earn its trust.

Then a thought came to me, many wouldn't approach a stray dog, let alone touch it. For those who have allergies or a phobia, thats another story. But I guess, if we can't even learn to love a creature as such, though not well groomed, shabby, untrained, maybe infected with disease.

How are we to love those people out there who are considered outcasts?

I don't mean to equate them or put them lower than dogs. But its the same kind of love that we all share. Are we helping because its a moral obligation as a society, or part of humanity? Are we there to show care just because someone else asked us to do it? Are we just trying to impress others with our pseudo-sympathy?

By no means so, we should love as the Lord loveth, not as something we have or ought to do, but a natural compassion and a genuine kindness. Truthfully I am struggling. Not that I don't care enough, I just cannot love the unlovable the way the Lord wants me to love.

I'm moved by how much love from people like Ps. Hsia and Ms. Chong Kar Yi has for the disabled. And to think that there are many out there who are in need of special care. Not forgetting those who are out in the rural areas. Can I love that much? Love enough to take their afflictions as my own? Enough to share their pains? Enough even just to understand the things they go through? What is this kind of Love?

Lord teach me to Love.
Unconditionally,
Truthfully,
Passionately,
Beautifully.

No comments: